Our First Hundred Years Pictured to the left is Rev. Thrall and his wife. Thrall was the first pastor of First Congregational Church.
First Congregational Church began in 1914 with about 31 charter members - none of whom were from Asheville. Over the years the church had its ups and downs, and more than once the question was asked, "Is this church needed in Asheville?" And the answer continued to be "Yes!"
The ministers of this congregation were some of the most public, socially just advocates for the vulnerable in the city. They tended to be very well educated. The church has been a leader in much of the progressive movement of the city.
In 1957 we became a part of a new denomination called the United Church of Christ. We continue to be strong in our justice ministries and in our effort to bring forth provocative and life changing worship and faith formation opportunities.
In 2002 we became an Open and Affirming church - meaning that all people are welcome in the full life and ministry of the congregation.
In 2013 we became a Just Peace Church.
In 2011 we added solar panels to our roof (the first church in NC to do so) and then installed a geo-thermal system in the sanctuary.
We strive to be a public church that engages in the issues of importance in the common life of all people in Asheville. We seek to embody the slogan of the UCC that God is still speaking!
The Citizen-Times wrote a wonderful article about our 100th anniversary. Click hereto read it.